Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Norwegian Widower - Day 6

One of my buddies sent Tito to wake me up a bit after nine o’clock, and I must admit that I really enjoyed a cat-less night of sleep.  Part of the benefit of this overnight play date was that my buddy’s wife always puts on a nice spread for breakfast - eggs, bacon, and sausage from their own chickens and pigs – and not only do I enjoy that deliciousness for myself, but I know the kids will be taken care of.

We left right after breakfast as we had to volunteer at church.  As is my custom, I showed up a minute late, likely raising the anxiety level of our kind kids-area coordinator.  Every other week, we watch a bunch of 18-24 month olds.  Although my kids were feeling the effects of staying up past midnight and using the rocking chairs for themselves, we made it through the hour without incident and without having to change any poopy diapers. 

Upon arriving home, Tito announced that the Dolly Mama had barfed again, amazingly at the same spot at the top of the stairs next to the previous projectile that still remained.  Last time it worked much better to wait until it dried to clean it up, so I chose that option again and instead took a two hour nap. I did vacuum up the vomit, but again did not do any carpet-scrubbing.  We are getting new carpet sometime in the next couple weeks anyway, so is there really any reason to clean it up?

The kids read my blog while I was napping (they think these blogs are cool because they are in them) and Bitsy promptly told me, “Part 4 was not very good.  It was filled with a bunch of boring stuff that only adults like.  Please make the next part more interesting.”  As an aside, the kids also like to “audit” my blogs and tell me if I am saying something inaccurate.  But that’s okay, I used to work for Arthur Andersen, so if I don’t like the kids’ input, I just shred it.

After doing my best to satisfy the little dictator, I decided to actually cook dinner for the first time since Kacey has been gone.  I guess there is a reason she thaws meat in advance, as the rib-eyes were frozen solid when I took them out of the freezer, go figure.  That delayed dinner until after seven o’clock, which would have been fine except only Bitsy obeyed my request to make herself a sandwich for lunch.

While the slabs of meat turned out delicious, the French fries were a bit old and maybe freezer burned, and I advised the kids to eat them with caution.  Further, I managed to mess up the steamed broccoli.  How I did that I am not sure, but I guess it is what I get for trying to serve a vegetable.

Some excitement for the evening was that I noticed one of the cats frantically trying to get into one of our kitchen cupboards.  Sure enough, the mousetrap I set was successful!  In order to satisfy the cat’s curiosity, I set the “full” mousetrap down in front of the cat for his inspection.  While that seemed like a good idea at the time, I hadn’t counted on the cat running away with it.  I finally chased the cat down upstairs and in the guest room before any mouse parts were consumed.

This evening, I accomplished a monumental task in getting Tito to wash his melon before bed.  As mentioned before, Kacey requested an every other day head-washing, so getting it done for the first time on day 6 probably counts as failure on that one.

After trying to write, but generally feeling to worn out to accomplish much save for staring at the computer screen, I tried to hit the hay at about one o’clock in the morning.  But the cats were again enjoying play time in our room, so I walked to the guest room and probably fell asleep around two.  That’s okay, I suppose I only have to live with these cats for another 10-15 years.

6 comments:

  1. Huh, less amusing today. Lack of sleep must be catching up to you. Perhaps if you had learned to snuggle with your wife in the first years of marriage rather than rolling yourself off the bed, the cats would be a comfort to you instead of a hindrance. Perhaps you can take the meatloaf out now, for later? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this again a year later I don't quite get the less amusing part of my previous comment as I laughed out loud just now...My excuse is that I had been sick the whole time I was gone and not sleeping as well as I might have. I must have been missing the cats too...

    ReplyDelete