Friday, November 9, 2012

The Norwegian Widower - Day 3

Today…was pretty easy.

My alarm went off as planned.  Upon arising, I replenished the cat’s food and water and cleaned out their litter box.  The litter box is huge (Kacey uses one of those 20 gallon storage tubs), so I bet it would be good even if I didn’t clean it out the rest of the time Kacey is gone.

I made my boy just 3 eggs this morning, and he scarfed them all down, after which I made him brush his teeth for the first time in his mom’s absence.  He even made in to the bus without needing to run.  One of Bitsy’s friends came over at 7:30, and she volunteered for the job of waking up her friend.  Later, she even coached Bitsy during her eight minute segment of consuming her ADD meds, and stood over her as Bitsy brushed her teeth.  We may need to have her come over more often.

I dropped the two girls off at school, and promptly returned home for sacred nap.  It was disappointing to have to cut my nap short, but I had a consulting meet to attend.  Five hours of sleep plus a one hour nap certainly is not sufficient, so I am pretty sure I drank the office out of coffee.

After a long meeting, I joined 250 other former co-workers from the defunct firm of Arthur Andersen for a happy hour.  As a result, Big Daddy once again assumed the role of child pickup.  Just two blocks before arriving at the Casa de Big Daddy, my Chevy Impala ran out of gas.  But, I was able to coast all the way into his driveway.  Yes, it was largely a charmed day altogether.

As I was running late (go figure) to get Bitsy to her school’s DJ dance party, Big Daddy just told me to take one of his cars and I could come back with gas for my car in the morning.  Knowing that he would check the oil in my car, I hurriedly ran to my car and, in the dark, dumped a quart of oil in.  I am pretty sure I got more oil on the engine than actually in the oil spout.  But sure enough, Big Daddy came out the door just as I was slamming the hood and said, “What’s up under the hood?”

“Nothing,” I lied, as if it is common for people to look under the hoods of their car in the dark when they are running late to get their kids to an event.

I dropped off Bitsy at her party at 7:45, and a kind neighbor lady let me know she’d drive her home.  I was relieved, as this meant I could sink into my easy chair for the long hall.

Tito did his short homework assignment, bathed, managed to forget to brush his teeth, and went to bed.  When I tucked him in, I asked, “Do you wash your hair?”  He replied, “No, but I did get it wet.”  One of the things on Kacey’s list was an every-other-day hair washing for Tito.  Perhaps we will just wash it five times on the last day and call it even?

Bitsy, primed for her first student cousin meetings at 7:30AM, also hit the hay early.  She also did not take a bath, and I have to imagine she didn’t brush her teeth either. 

As I returned to my easy chair, I began to feel like the cats were avoiding me.  But then, I realized they weren’t avoiding me, as they just never hang around me anyway.  Really the only time they hang around me is when I hang around Kacey.

I wrote until 1AM and then called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment