Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Norwegian Widower - Day 5

Ahhhh, the weekend….I relished the opportunity to sleep in and did not get out of bed until 9:30 (in the morning, thank you).  After eating a breakfast of leftover pizza, I let the kids know they were on their own for the first meal of the day.  I figured that three days of cooking eggs and waffles entitled me to a break.

Kacey had left me a task of washing Bitsy’s hair at least once, so I figured this morning was a good time to check that off the list.  Kacey had also told me to put some sort of lotion in Bitsy’s hair before combing it; I assume it is some sort of anti-snarling potion.  After Bitsy’s bath, I had her go find what she thought was the lotion and inspected it.  Upon seeing the word “hair” somewhere on the bottle, I assumed Bitsy had grabbed the correct bottle.  I put what I am pretty sure was way too much in her hair, but not knowing what to do, I figured too much was better than too little.

After puttering around for a while, I had to leave for the Johnnies final football game of the year.  Big Daddy wasn’t available to watch the kids, and I hadn’t arranged for anyone else to do so.  They expressed less than zero interest in going with me, even when faced with the alternative of spending four hours home alone.  (For any horrified readers… the game was ten minutes away from my house, the kids know my cell phone number, they get along great and don’t get into trouble, and we live in an extremely safe neighborhood where they know many of the neighbors.  Plus, my folks often left my brother and me in the car for hours on end while they went bar hopping.  Okay, maybe not, but my mom reads my blog so I figured I’d make sure she was awake!)

Before I left, I gave them each one instruction.  Tito…take a bath and wash your hair.  Bitsy, here is your medicine, make sure it gets in your body.  I also pointed out where the bread, peanut butter, and honey was and encouraged them to make themselves a sandwich when they got hungry.

When I returned from the game a few hours later, Tito informed me that he had indeed taken a bath, but had not washed his hair as he could not find the shampoo - of course, I had pointed the shampoo out to him earlier.  Bitsy’s bowl of medicine was gone (not the medicine, but the entire bowl), and she did not remember whether or not she consumed it – I am going with ,”No.”  Neither of them made a sandwich, but did manage to find other snacks and treats.  While this may sound like a disaster, I was of course pleased that they were alive, well, and happy.

Before heading to church, I fed the cats and cleaned out their litter box, but couldn’t remember what I was forgetting.  I later remembered that I didn’t check their water dish to see if it needed replenished.  But, I figured if they ran out, they could get resourceful and use the toilets.

After church, we stopped at McDonald’s for dinner, amazingly the first time they have eaten fast foot since Kacey has been gone!  I had arranged for an overnight play-date for them, figuring that a good parent does stuff like that.  Never mind the fact that the play date was at the house of my best friend, with another great buddy crashing over as well – I did this for my kids. 

Once we got to the my buddy’s house, my kids ran off with his kids, and I rewarded myself for a few days of hard work with a seat on the sectional couch in front of a 120 inch video screen.  We watched college football until after midnight and rarely saw or heard from the kids.

At that point, I made my way upstairs to find my kids watching a movie.  I arranged to have the movie turned off and found places for them to sleep.  We did not bring their tooth brushes with, as I had asked them to do so before leaving for church, and then later realized we had got distracted and forgotten about that.  Tito was so tired, he did not even protest about having to sleep in one of the girls’ rooms, unaware that he was be infested with girl germs and cooties.

Tired from not having taken my usual nap, I decided to crash as well.  After asking someone to wake me up at nine o’clock, I found the guest room and laid down for a night of cat-less sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment