Friday, May 25, 2012

The Postman

As a side business, I have prepared hundreds of individual tax returns over the past eight years.  Although this business provides me with additional income, my main satisfaction comes from helping my clients.  But once in a while, my clients help me…and I have been waiting more than two months to post this entry.


Boz, “Well, your refunds are fairly similar to last year, and given that your life hasn’t changed much, I suppose that makes sense.  So, do you expect anything different for 2012?”

“Not really,” the Postman replied “I plan on keeping my same job, and my wife and I don’t plan on moving or having any kids or anything.”

“Great,” I began, “Ummm…before you go…I was wondering if I could ask you a question.”

“Sure.”

“Well honestly, your level of charitable giving fascinates me.  I am your accountant, so I know a fair amount about your financial situation.  As the sole income earner for your family of five, things must be fairly tight for you guys.  Yet, you give away several thousand dollars each year, well over ten percent of your income.  I just have to know - what motivates you to be so generous?”

The Postman reclined in his chair, tilted his head back a bit and said “It is hard to put a finger on it, but it stems from our faith.  There is a verse in the bible (Malachi 3:10) which says…”Test me in this and I will open the storehouses of heaven.”  I feel blessed by God in what I have been given and in what I have been entrusted with, and there are certainly people less fortunate than me.  If I can be a blessing to someone else and trickle it down, well, I want to be a part of that.”

With my mouth hanging half-open I replied, “I believe I lot of people would like to be more generous, but they simply can’t find money left over to be charitable with.  How do you do it?”

“I think it has to be a priority.  God asks that you give to him first.  Think of an apple, a nice red, crisp, delicious, juicy apple.  Those first couple bites are fantastic.  But when you start getting near the end…it gets mushy and brown .  I don’t want to give God the brown.  Let God take his first couple delicious chomps, and the rest is fine for me.”

Quite entranced, I asked him one final question, “Have you ever thought what you are giving up by being so charitable?”

I was humbled by his reply, “Not at all.  When I started at the post office, I was given wise advice.  We give the first amount to God, then the next to our 401(k), and we live on the rest.  We are used to it.  We don’t even think about it.  I don’t ponder what I could buy with it.”

“That’s just awesome,” I stated, “Well, it was a pleasure as always, and I look forward to seeing you next year.”

“Thanks, Boz.  May I pay you for your services?”

“Absolutely not. It is an honor to do your taxes.  Seriously”

As he drove away that evening, I couldn’t help but smile as I reflected on our conversation.  This guy understands that even though he doesn’t have the best job in America, he is still blessed.  And with that blessing comes the responsibility to help others.  He gives to his church and a variety of other organizations in an effort to make the world a better place.  He inspires me to do more.  Yeah, the Postman really gets it.


A few days later, I arrived home from work and sauntered to my mail box. Amid a plethora of junk mail, I noticed a hand-written letter.  Upon opening the envelope, I found a thank you note from the Postman, along with an Applebee’s gift card.

Two things are for certain.  First, I will savor that meal.  Second, I won’t even have to look at the dessert menu, as I’ll be ordering apple pie.


Authors Note:  Some of you may question whether the Postman’s family suffers as a result of his generosity.  My wife and I know them and concluded that in this rat race we live in, they are one of the most content and blessed families we know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there would you mind letting me know which hosting сompany you're working with? I've
    lοаded your blog іn 3 dіfferent іnternet
    broωseгs anԁ I must ѕay this blog loads a lot faster
    then mοst. Ϲan you suggeѕt a goοd internet hosting pгovidеr at a honeѕt prіce?
    Thanκs а lot, I аppreciate it!


    My pаge Lloyd Irvin

    ReplyDelete