Monday, June 18, 2012

Thanks, Dad


I didn’t have a chance to get together with my dad yesterday, so I called him to wish him a Happy Father’s Day.  As we were signing off, I started to thank him for being a great dad, and he quickly changed the subject, deflecting the attention as usual.  So, as it would probably make him uncomfortable if he had to hear me rattle off all the things I am thankful for about him, I will write about them instead.


Thanks, Dad, for showing me how a man is supposed to work.  Especially early on, you worked two jobs just to provide for our family.  Even later on, you would pick up boring shifts working security.  You showed up to work every day and almost never took a sick day.

Thanks, Dad, for your involvement in my activities.  You coached my sports teams and attended all my sporting and other events.  Thanks for doing the same for my brother.  I really thought it was cool that you even coached his hockey team even though you couldn’t skate.  Thanks for taking many of your personal vacation days to chaperone trips with our church’s youth group.  Even though I may not have showed it at the time, I always preferred it when you were there.

Thanks, Dad, for telling me how to get out of speeding tickets.  I think I have been pulled over 20 times for speeding and only received four tickets.

Thanks, Dad, for not demanding excellence or perfection, but instead always expecting me to put forth a strong effort and to do so with a good attitude.

Thanks, Dad, for staying married to Mom for the past 43 years. You showed me what it was like to stay committed.  Thanks also for supporting her by packing up your life and moving to Chicago when she got that big promotion.

Thanks, Dad, for getting me that old Suburban to drive as my first car, just so I’d be safe.  And I’m sorry you had to find out at my groom’s dinner that we once packed 17 people in it (but you did ask the question).

Thanks, Dad, for joining me on all those college recruiting trips, and thanks for supporting my decision to go to Saint John’s even though it was more expensive than playing football for Leslie Frazier at Trinity.

Thanks, Dad, for teaching me how to make my teaching exciting.  My students appreciate my energy and excitement more than anything else, so they thank you, too.

Thanks, Dad, (I think), for making me work that awful landscaping job that summer.  You wanted me to experience tough work from a tough boss so that I would better appreciate different opportunities in the future. 

Thanks, Dad, for demanding that I not get too obsessed with girls while in high school and college.  It would have really stunk to have ended up with some of them.

Thanks, Dad, for teaching me the joy of engaging random strangers in conversation and learning about their stories.  It embarrassed me at the time, but I love doing it myself today.

Thanks, Dad, for showing me how to be humble (even though I stink in this area).  You’d knock one out of the park in softball at the age of 55 and I’d have to hear about it weeks later from one of your teammates.

Thanks, Dad, for playing chess with me when I was four years old, even though you were exhausted from having worked the night shift.


Thanks, Dad, for loving me even when I messed up, and even when I crashed three of your cars.

Thanks, Dad, for making me take Spanish when I wanted to take French.  I continue to use it today.  And I went to France once, and didn’t care for it that much.

Thanks, Dad, for being a model of generosity with your time.  You are always looking for opportunities to help family, friends, and strangers.  This thank you would deserve a whole blog entry in itself, so I’ll just stop at that.

Thanks, Dad, for being generous with your money.  You always try to find odd jobs for people who have fallen on hard times; you give me way more gifts than I deserve.

Thanks, Dad, for singing karaoke with me whenever I ask, even though I make us sound really bad.

Thanks, Dad, for being very clear on right vs. wrong, and for living a moral life.

Thanks, Dad, for not letting me live off campus until my senior year of college.  My favorite memories were definitely in the dorms.

Thanks, Dad, for taking us on annual family vacations, even when money was tight.  We built memories that will last forever.  Especially when my brother and I got that tape recording of you imitating the stupid sounds we were making.

Thanks, Dad for always letting me know you loved me, not only by saying it, but also through your actions.

Thanks, Dad, for the way that you always try to make my life easier today and the way that you are always looking for me and trying to help.  Whenever we go somewhere, you want to drive.  Whenever you are at our house, you are fixing something or doing the dishes.  Every time Kacey and I go out of town, you not only watch our kids, but you find time to clean and change the oil in both of our cars and do projects around are house.

Thanks, Dad, for being a very engaged grandparent, not only frequently watching our kids, but keeping them healthy and working on developing their skills as well.

Thanks, Dad, for not only being my friend today, but also continuing to be my Dad.  When I mess up, you still address my behavior with me.  I think I appreciate it.

Thanks, Dad, for being the type of dad that I know will drop everything if I call you in a pinch. 

Thanks, Dad, for bringing our family to church every Sunday when we were growing up.

Thanks, Dad, for teaching me how to change the oil in my car.  I bet not many other CPA’s can do that!

Thanks, Dad, for the time you yelled at me when I was a jerk to my grandparents after a basketball game.  Although it sucked at the time, I can’t imagine going through life as a sore loser.

Thanks, Dad, for not being judgmental when I starting dating a single mom, and thanks for the way that you accepted her and her daughter.

Thanks, Dad, for having emotions.  You have them because you care.  I still remember you getting choked up when dropping me off at camps, moving me into college, and sending me away to Spain.

Thanks, Dad, for showing me what it really means to care for others who are sick, like Grandpa, Pat, and “Uncle” Rich.

Thanks, Dad, for introducing me to Mancini’s Char House, my favorite restaurant on the planet.  You always took me there for special occasions, and it has become my go to place for special occasions – including my first date with my wife.

Thanks, Dad, for introducing me to coffee, car racing, and country music.  I remember when I was younger I said I would never be like you and like those things, and now of course I really look forward to our road trips where we drive together to NASCAR races while listening to country music and drinking coffee.

I know I am missing more things than I have said, so thanks, Dad, for all of those things I can’t remember right now. 

In closing, I’ll just say, thanks, Dad, for showing me what a man and father is supposed to be.  I love you.



I hope that many of my readers also feel strong affection toward their own fathers.  But if you do not, control what you can and vow to become a better parent yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment