Sunday, April 29, 2012

Everybody needs a little affirmation

You may have read in a previous blog entry that this spring I enrolled in John’s Theory of Football class. On the final day of class, I took a class picture of John with all of his students. I also took individual pictures with each of the 63 students and John, enlarged the pictures into 8x12’s, and had John sign them with a personal message. Coordinating that whole process was somewhat time-consuming, and coming on the heels of the busiest month of my life, it was also rather draining. However, the verbal appreciation I received from the students when they picked up their pictures was very rewarding.

Then just this morning, I checked my e-mail and had the following message waiting for me from one of John’s students, who also took an accounting class from me last year:

Boz,

I would like to thank you for the signed picture with John and the class picture. It is something that you did not have to do, but you went above and beyond to give us students the opportunity to have a very nice memento from John. I actually have already had my picture framed. It is something that I will keep with me for the rest of my life to help remember SJU, the great times I had as a member of the football team, and the great people that I had the opportunity to get to know during my time there. Like John stresses to his players and he did to the class, SJU is full of great people of great character, and you are a definite fit of this example. I am looking forward to reading your book. John definitely gives some interesting insight to different things and that could give you a lot to talk about. Thank you again and good luck with the rest of your book.
 

When I receive an e-mail like that, it makes the effort very worthwhile.

I am fortunate that in my line of work, I receive a fair amount of affirmation, as students are great in providing it. Receiving affirmation never gets old, and I crave it about as much as Winnie the Pooh craves honey. E-mails like the one I received above remind me why I am doing what I am doing. So, thank you, Anthony, for taking the time to send that e-mail.

Who do you need to affirm today? Is it a spouse, child, parent, or other family member? Is it a friend, colleague, neighbor, or perhaps even the lady at the checkout line at the grocery store? Although it would be good of you to pick one of those people and affirm them, don’t stop there. In reality, you need to affirm all of those people.

Don’t wait for the perfect time to affirm someone, as you might miss the opportunity, and that would be a shame. Because as my friend Zach said when I shared this story with him, “Everybody needs a little affirmation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment