Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Oozing Cool

Picture in your head, for a moment, your epitome of “cool.”  Seriously - stop reading for a few seconds, and visualize the person whom you feel is the most “cool.”  What do they look like?  Can you see their face, hear their voice, maybe even feel their touch?  But more than anything, think about why you think that person is cool.

I am going to rewind a few months and tell you about George, the person I visualize when I think of the word “cool.”

Tonight, I am at Nashville's premiere venue for country music songwriters, the Bluebird Cafe.  It is here that I meet George.  He is wearing running shoes, even though he is not a runner.  Beneath his running shoes are short, white socks, the kind that cutoff below the ankle.  He is wearing jeans, somewhat snug, straight-legged, washed, denim jeans, probably purchased at Wal-Mart for no more than twenty dollars.  Continuing to his upper body, he is wearing a t-shirt, a somewhat loose, basic gray t-shirt.  The sleeves of his t-shirt are short enough to expose his relatively skinny biceps and farmer’s tan.

George has a unique face, long and skinny, kind of like an upside-down egg.  He has deep-set eyes and a short, perhaps even slightly pug, nose.  His heavily receding hairline displays his prominent forehead. 

Tonight, George is sitting in a basic, wooden chair and holding a simple, acoustic guitar.  After strumming a few chords, he begins to sing.  While his voice is not spectacular, it is easy enough on the ears.

George begins his short set by playing a variety of cover songs.  He seems to be sticking to hits this evening.  It is fun to listen to the songs, but then again, I have heard these songs performed thousands of times with much more pizzazz on both the radio and by a variety of cover bands.

Does George sound cool to you, yet?  Probably not, I imagine.  But stick with me for a bit, because there is a big difference tonight.  George wrote all of these songs, these songs that have sold millions of a copies.  He is playing the songs the way that he wrote them and the way that they were originally meant to be played. 

George never mentions that he has written eight top five country hits, with half of those rising all the way to number one.  Instead of saying, “The next song I will play is ‘Real Good Man’ by Tim McGraw, one of my four number one hits,” he humbly says, “I would like to thank Tim McGraw for recording this song and putting my kids through college.”

As he plays hit after hit, he doesn’t try to pump up the small crowd before playing each song.  He simply tells the story behind the song, plays it the way he wrote it, and moves on to the next tune.

Compared to most accomplished musicians I have met, I can relate much better to George.  He opens up a bit and talks about how even a successful musician like himself has weaknesses  He tells a story about how he and another songwriter left Nashville for a weekend to write songs, but what transpired was a bunch of fishing and beer drinking.  Afraid of disappointing his wife and publishing company manager, George and his fellow songwriter pen a tune before they drive home.  After hearing him play it, I anticipate it will be a big hit on country radio before long.  How long did it take George to write the song?  About an hour.

When George calls it a night, the Bluebird Cafe clears out fairly quickly, giving me an opportunity to engage him in a brief conversation.  He sincerely thanks me for coming out to his show, answers all of my questions, and expresses genuine appreciation for the passion I express for his music.

After a few minutes, my wife drags me away from George, leaving behind a puddle of my drool.  As my wife and I drive home from the cafe that evening, we talk about how much we enjoyed George and his performance.

As I reflect back on that evening, I realize why I admired George so much.  First, I admire how success has not changed him.  He plays his songs the way he wrote them, not the way Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Trace Adkins, and other singers have recorded them.  He still wears clothes that are comfortable to him, not the kind of flashy outfit that Sony requires its performers to wear.

Second, George is extremely humble.  Despite his successes, he does not call attention to himself.  He plays at a cafe that has maybe 100 patrons.  After his set, he talks to what few adoring fans he has in a very down to earth manner and remains in the cafe until everyone who wants to talk to him has done so.  In fact, George appears humbled at the appreciation he receives

To me, being true to one’s self and being humble are very cool.  I can especially learn from George’s humility.  If I have a success, I do not need to tell others about.  I simply need to let people find out about it for themselves.  And if they never find out about it, so what?  I can take personal satisfaction in my success, and that is all that matters.

Thank you, George, for showing me what it really means to be “cool.”  You are my epitome of cool.  You...ooze cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment